Saturday, February 27, 2010

Girlyman & Margaret Cho: Young James Dean video

Are you familiar with Girlyman? They are one of my all-time favorite bands. I saw them live a couple weeks ago for the second time. No surprise, they are still amazing. Actually, probably even more so. True story, it has always been a dream of mine to start a band, and basically what I have always wanted to do is, uh, pretty much what Girlyman does.

But the reason for this post is not (or not just) to say all of that. The reason is that another one of my favorite people, Margaret Cho, teamed up with Girlyman and helped make their first music video. How freaking cool is that? I've been wanting to post this for a while but hadn't gotten around to it. I knew I had to share it here just in case you hadn't seen it already. The song is called "Young James Dean," and has been one of my faves for years. It's a song for all of us who don't quite fit in. Regarding the video, Margaret says:

Pretty much everyone involved in the video (both in front of and behind the camera) is trans/butch/queer/femme, which for me, in the greater LGBT world, is my family. The song is a meditation on butch identity, and so I wanted to show how beautiful we are as a community, no matter what gender we are or what we choose to be.

So here it is:



I also wanted to share the following video, in which members of the band talk about the origins of the song and the content of the music video:



I really need to read this book, The Last Time I Wore a Dress. Like really.

1 comment:

Hedy @ penny for my thoughts said...

Great video. I really wanted to like that book, but it was too much mental health triggery for me.