Monday, July 6, 2009

Blog Roundup Thingy for the Past Week or So

I'm sure I've missed a lot since I haven't checked everything, but here's some stuff that has come across my path that I'd like to share.

First, something that happened right here in Columbus:

Mennonites protest church exclusion of gays
Go Pink Menno! I was unable to attend the action, but I want to say that I stand in solidarity with anyone who is working for LGBTQIA inclusion in faith communities.

Something relevant for all, coming out of Cincy:
“The Queer Canon” call for submission
"GenderBloc, the University of Cincinnati’s radical queer group that focuses on transgender activism, is placing a call for submissions for its quarterly zine. Submissions can be submitted by anyone, not just UC students. Selections must be submitted before August 31, 2009, to queercanon@gmail.com. "
Please consider submitting to the Queer Canon! Click on the link for more info about submission guidelines and details about the Queer Canon.



More faith-related news:
Hagee welcomes gay groups
I remember watching Rev. John Hagee on TBN with my great-grandmother. He's not really someone I would have expected to do this. Kudos to Soulforce and Atticus Circle for starting the dialogue.



On to the sad:
Gay bar patrons not targeted by officers, chief says and follow-up: Fort Worth resident breaks his silence about Rainbow Lounge raid
Of course the police are saying that the gays were out of control and that police brutality was justified... Ugh.

Sailor gunned down on sentry duty, Navy says
A relative says August Provost was killed for his race and his sexual orientation. The Navy says there was no evidence of a hate crime, but he had reported harassment to relatives before his death.
I'd like to quote a part of the article: "Rep. Bob Filner, a California Democrat, has called for a full and transparent investigation. Asked Friday if Provost was killed because of his sexual orientation, he said, 'There are indications that that's the case [that it was a hate crime]. His family says he was harassed.' Filner said he was on Camp Pendleton hours after Provost's body was found, although no one told him of the killing. 'When I was on the base for another event, the commander of the base was sitting next to me and never mentioned a word, which I find very strange," he said. He said he was asking for the 'truth of what happened... We're going to ask, if I may coin a phrase, and we hope that they tell,' he said."
Very sad and disappointing.
I'd like to add as commentary that though he was out as bi, he's getting gaywashed by some press.

2008 was most dangerously violent year for LGBT people in over a decade
"Our recent report tells us that this past year has been one of the most dangerously violent years for lesbian, gay bisexual and transgender people since NCAVP began documenting anti-LGBT violence. Many elected officials who do care are focused on the need for hate crimes legislation. This is understandable but not enough. We need attention and resources from every level of government aimed at education that helps prevent hate violence before it occurs. We need laws that deliver equal rights and protections to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people which by their very existence send the message that we are equal citizens, equal human beings and that hate violence will not be condoned."



Something resourceful that can make a difference:
Ohio Educator's Guide to GLBTQ Resources - A Guide to Creating Safe Schools for ALL Youth
I believe I may have posted this before, but for the sake of thoroughness, here it is again.



And lastly, a bit of humor:

No comments: