Friday, February 13, 2009

Newark (DE) Councilman Comes Out as Bisexual

Ezra Temko, a city councilman in Newark, Delaware, has come out as bisexual.

(article requires login- try bugmenot.com for a login if you don't want to make one)


The article writing leaves a bit to be desired, with the hyphenating of bisexual (bi-sexual), and:

City Councilman Ezra Temko’s recent effort to strengthen the equality of Newark’s gay, lesbian and transgender residents is more than just a calculated political move.

Emphasis is mine. Hmm, could we be forgetting someone there? Who could it be? Ah, I'm not sure. </sarcasm> Moving on.

Though Temko is coming out to the press at this time, he says he never made any effort to hide who he was when running for office:

Nobody ever asked me about my sexual orientation and I don’t believe it has any bearing on my ability to serve... When I was running for council, I was single, so it really didn’t come up. Drew [Temko's partner] and I go to public events together and our relationship is fairly obvious on Facebook. I think everyone who would normally know I’m dating someone knows I’m dating Drew.

Drew and Ezra. Aww.


Temko went to Oberlin College (in Ohio!), and he says that Oberlin was "a very inclusive environment that embraced everyone, instead of accepting norms as legitimate on face value." Being at Oberlin helped him explore and come to terms with his identity. Hmm... Bisexual before AND after graduation.

He has introduced several different LGBTQ-supporting measures to the Newark City Council. Yay!

Cheers and thanks to you, Ezra. ♥

1 comment:

Queers United said...

this guy is majorly cute :)