Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Petition Challenges CA's Prop 8, Seeks to Protect the Rights of "Lesbian and Gay People"

Equality California, Lambda Legal, the National Center for Lesbian Rights, the ACLU, and others, have filed a writ petition before the CA Supreme Court stating that Prop 8 is unconstitutional because it takes rights away from "lesbian and gay people." "Lesbian and gay couples." "Lesbian and gay Californians."

The last time I checked, I thought that a ban on marriage equality might affect other people besides "lesbian and gay people" but I must be wrong. Especially if Equality California sees fit to sign on to such a lawsuit. </sarcasm>

The wording of this petition is seriously unacceptable, but not surprising. Okay, maybe it's a little surprising, I'd think that Equality California would know better. Sadly, we find yet another example of bisexual and transgender invisibility in this lawsuit.

Apparently Equality California is also not as cool as Equality Ohio - I have never once heard Equality Ohio leave us out.

I especially appreciate how this was on a page of the "LGBT" Project, which fights for "LGBT" rights.

No comments: